The European MOVE WEEK is an annual Europe-wide campaign week promoting sport and physical activity and their positive impact on European societies. For more info visit NowWeMove.com (new website coming soon!) or like the official NowWeMove page in Facebook.
Great chance to promote cycling through MOVE Week 2014
MOVE Week is almost upon as again! From 29 September to 5 October 2014, MOVE Week will once again unite Europe to celebrate and promote sport and physical activity.
Now we can see what a success MOVE Week 2013 was, it’s time to get planning innovative new events that use this excellent opportunity to spread the cycling message to new audiences.
NowWeMove 2013 exceeded all expectations with the high level of participation and the amazing variety of events promoting physical activity on a cross-sectoral level. Across 33 countries, there were over 1,260 events, almost 300 of which were focused on the benefits of cycling!
Lets make this year even bigger! MOVE Week 2014 is a fabulous opportunity to promote physical activity, cycling and to build new cross-sector partnerships.
The European Cyclists’ Federation (ECF) as a partner of the International Sport and Culture Association (ISCA) contributes decisively to the vision of NowWeMove: to make 100 million more people across Europe physically active through sports, solidarity and creativity.
Get involved now – it’s so easy!
Almost any event can be put under the banner of MOVE Week. There are three key ways you or your organisation can get involved.
1) Firstly, you can create your very own event, no matter how big or how small.
2) Or, if you already have an event organised, why not promote it as a MOVE Week event with our great promotional material and gain extra media attention.
3) Finally, you can contact your country’s MOVE Week National Co-ordinators to see if they are organizing an event that you could join in on.
There are some great examples of creative and fun events from MOVE Week 2013 to inspire you, here are a few:
- Bulgarian bike club ‘Kriva Spitza’ used the MOVE Week platform to reach a greater audience and spread their passion for cycling through a range of activities. Not only did they give free-mountain bike lessons and a ride for beginners through the mountains, they also arranged a great bike race for kids.
- In Greece there were many cycling events, one of which was a ‘critical mass’ of cyclists who came together to show that cyclists can exit in happy cohabitation with other forms of transport on the roads.
- In Estonia, a cycling tour between two cities directed attention towards the stalled proposals for the construction of a cycle road. This MOVE Week event succeeded in drumming up support for the cycle road.
Where do I begin?
If you want to create your own event or if you have some further questions, don’t hesitate to contact your country’s MOVE Week National Co-ordinators or if your country does not yet have a coordinator, please contact the ECF team. Don’t forget to follow us on Twitter and Facebook to receive all new MOVE Week news and updates.
Your NowWeMove team at ECF
I am Acacia and with the rest of the communications team, we are your NowWeMove support team at ECF working alongside all of the ECF staff, the ISCA team in Copenhagen and the NowWeMove regional team across Europe.
We will be here to promote cycling as part of NowWeMove. Please get in touch with us and give us your ideas, comments and questions about how we can maximize the benefits of this new partnership for all of ECF’s friends and supporters.
See the staff page for more details.
FAQ 1: Can I organize an event outside the MOVE Week?
Yes. NowWeMove is an ongoing campaign throughout the year. However, we encourage all MOVE Agents to carry out their events during MOVE Week.
By doing so, your event will take place simultaneously with hundreds of other events around Europe. It is a certain way to get maximum coverage of your activities.
FAQ 2: Do I get funding to organize my events for MOVE Week?
No. There is no direct financial support for the events organized during MOVE Week. However, we provide you with sophisticated tools to conduct a professional PR campaign and we also communicate your events to more than 30 countries in Europe via the official NowWeMove website and Facebook page. A dynamic communications strategy can boost your efforts to approach potential sponsors for your activities!
FAQ 3: How many events do I have to organize during MOVE Week?
As many as you want. There is no limitation in the number of events or of participants. From small happenings in the neighborhood park to large events organized by associations or municipalities, everyone is welcome. All it takes is originality and the desire to move yourself and others around you.