The purpose of “Cities for Cyclists” is to establish a global ECF network of cities which are working to promote bicycle use in urban areas and encourage the exchange of knowledge.
Aims of the network
- Putting cycling at the centre of urban planning and political thinking
- Inspiring and catalyzing more cities to take concrete action in promoting cycling by learning from each other and avoiding the dilemma of having to “reinvent the wheel”
- Exchanging knowledge, solutions and strategies and thus promoting political initiatives and practical work on the ground
- Promoting and supporting a change in policy and planning practices in cities, and introducing a cycle-friendly perspective in these processes.
- Share the best practices between network member cities
- Participate in Velo-city conference. As of 2011, network members receive free ticket(s) for the conference. The Velo-city conference series, managed by ECF, is the largest cycling planning conference in the world and provides the best platform for cycling experts, urban planners, bicycle officers, decision-makers, NGOs and researchers to discuss the potential and challenges of cycling
- Receive “Cities for Cyclists” newsletter containing updated information on cycling policies at the European level, as well as announcements of important dates and deadlines for conferences relevant to the promotion of cycling. The newsletter will be published six times every year
- Take advantage of ECF advocacy at the European and the global levels with common benefits for municipalities and regions
- Stay informed about potential partnership opportunities in EU-funded cycling projects
- Receive factsheets about cycling policy, infrastructure, campaigning, etc.
ECF will set up a Council of the “Cities for Cyclists” network. This Council will act as an advisory body to ECF Board. The Council will include one of the members of ECF Board together with between two and four representatives of the cities in the network. Every year the “Cities for Cyclists” network will hold a General Workshop for the network members. This meeting will give city representatives the chance to meet face to face and exchange information on implementing bicycle plans, involvement of bicycle users’ associations, etc. When the Velo-city conference is organized in a European city, the timing of the General Workshop will be linked with the conference.